ARCHDIOCESE BANKRUPTCY MESSAGE
The bankruptcy court in case number 20-10846 pending in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana has set a deadline of March 1, 2021 to file a Sexual Abuse Proof of Claim in the Archdiocese of New Orleans Bankruptcy. A Sexual Abuse Proof of Claim form may be found at: www.NolaChurchclaims.com
The bankruptcy court in case number 20-10846 pending in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana has set a deadline of November 30, 2020 to file a General Proof of Claim in the Archdiocese of New Orleans Bankruptcy. A General Proof of Claim form may be found at: https://www.donlinrecano.com/Clients/rcano/Static/BDPOC
BLACK HISTORY CREATIVE ARTS CONTEST
The Litugy Committee is sponsoring a Creative Arts Contest in honor of Black History Month. The theme, "It's the Black and Catholic for Me" will focus on students commemorating their heritage of faith. Students currently enrolled in grades 2 - 12 are eligible to participate.
CREATIVE ARTS CONTEST RULES
- Contest applicants must be enrolled in grades 2 – 12 in the 2020-2021 school year.
- This contest provides cash awards, in three categories – elementary, middle and high school, for writing compositions and/or visual arts winners.
- Cash awards to first place winners in each category.
- Entries may be done in any style or medium within the range of traditional performing, written or visual arts.
- All creative mediums and styles welcomed.
- All submissions must be the ORIGINAL work of the student and submitted in electronic form.
- All submissions must reflect the them: “It’s the BLACK and CATHOLIC for Me” commemorating our community’s heritage of faith.
- WRITTEN: Essays - Elementary minimum 100 words; Middle School minimum 250 words; High School minimum 500 words.
- Monologues a maximum of 90 seconds.
- VISUAL: A minimum of 90 seconds maximum of 10 minutes, explanation should be included.
- Each student submitting an entry will fill out an entry form (downloaded below) giving name, address, and telephone number and certifying (a) that he or she is eligible by proper enrollment in the category to which entry is being sought for the contest, and (b) that the entry submitted is the student’s own creative work. The student’s real name will appear ONLY on this cover sheet and the last four of the social security number should appear on the entry and coversheet.
- A judging committee of three or more members to include clergy and laity will be appointed. These will be drawn from the parish and community. These members will decide which pieces will be accepted, as well as which artists shall receive awards. Award winners will be notified by email. Winners will be asked to present virtually their winning piece on Sunday, February 28, 2021 by providing a video explaining and/or performing their piece.
- A list of accepted works will be posted to the parish website and Facebook page. Please do not call the Parish Office with questions.
All submissions require a cover sheet. The cover sheet may be downloaded and printed from the link below or parish website.
All submissions must be the ORIGINAL work of the student and submitted in electronic form.
All entries are to be submitted electronically by Friday, February 19, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. to [email protected]. Include in the subject line: BLACK AND CATHOLIC CONTEST.
Contest Contact Information
Blessed Sacrament St. Joan of Arc Catholic Parish Liturgy Committee
Email: [email protected] Subject Line: BLACK AND CATHOLIC CONTEST
Cover Sheet Coversheet
COVID 19 - MEAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
COVID - 19 MEAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
"The City of New Orleans will provide a COVID-19 Meal Assistance Program, a cost-sharing collaboration with FEMA to qualifying residents. Meals will be provided to a range of vulnerable residents impacted by COVID-19, including high-risk health adults, residents with special medical needs, homeless residents, homebound seniors, and families with children 18 and under who are not receiving other federally supported food assistance. A vendor partnering with local restaurants will provide meals for this program for 30 days." NOLA.GOV
Visit the City's website at this link Meal Assistance Program
This week's Mass Celebration may be seen here, on Facebook, by clicking this link Mass Celebration Facebook or on our YouTube Channel, BSSJA Parish New Orleans.
God's Peace and Blessings Always.
MASS SIGN UP
PUBLIC MASSES RESUME WITH LIMITED RE-ENTRY
We are returning to the edifice, with limited re-entry, for public Masses beginning Saturday, July 4, 2020. The Church has been professionally sanitized and disinfected prior to our re-entry. For your safety and peace of mind, we will also provide wipes so that you may personally wipe your space before and after use. Please remember that the safety of your and your family's personal health is of utmost importance. However, with all the proper and well-thought preparations, the Church cannot guarantee that you will not get sick. Please make safe and well-informed decisions. Please be safe.
MAINTAIN SOCIAL DISTANCING.
Please use the link at the top of the page "MASS SIGN UP" for instructions and sign up.
GET OUT THE VOTE!
Check your voter status by texting VOTER to 40649
Primary is scheduled for March 20, 2021.
General Election is scheduled for April 24, 2021 if needed.
DEADLINE TO REGISTER
Deadline to register to vote in person and by mail is February 17, 2021.
Deadline to register to vote online is February 27, 2021 on the Geaux Vote website at GeauxVote.com - https://voterportal.sos.la.gov
VOTE BY MAIL AND ABSENTEE VOTING
Request your ballots NOW at https://voterportal.sos.la.gov/ .
Deadline to request an absentee ballot by mail is March 16, 2021. Please consider placing your request early.
Voted absentee ballots are due into the Registers' Office by 4:30 p.m. on March 19, 2021.
Visit GeauxVote.com - https://www.sos.la.gov/electionsandvoting/pages/default.aspx
Early voting dates are March 6 - 13, 2021, excluding Sundays, 8:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Early Voting sites:
- City Hall - 1300 Perdido Street, Room 1W24
- Algiers Courthouse - 225 Morgan Street, Room 105
- Chef Menteur Voting Machine Warehouse Site - 8870 Chef Menteur Highway
- Lake Vista Community Center - 6500 Spanish Fort Boulevard
NEED VOTER ASSISTANCE?
BLACK CATHOLICS ON THE ROAD TO SAINTHOOD
Visit the link for information on the following Black Catholics whose cause for canonization are being considered:
- Mother Henriette Delille
- Mother Mary Lange
- Father Augustus Tolton
- Pierre Toussaint
- Julia Greeley
While we are apart, we invite you to celebrate and participate in the Holy Mass, Rosary, Noon Time Prayer and Bible Study with us virtually. Please invite and share with others.
Noon Time Prayer
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays: Noon
Conference Call- (508) 924-5792
Mondays: 6 pm
Conference Call- (508) 924-5792
Thursdays: 6 pm
Conference Call- (508) 924-5792
Holy Mass Online
Sundays: 10 am
Saturday Vigil: 4:00pm
Sunday: 8:00am (Suspended until further notice) and 10:00am
Monday - Friday: 8:00am - Convent Chapel
ARE YOU NOLA READY?
GET READY...IT'S HURRICANE SEASON!
The information provided is NOT comprehensive but offers a summary for quick review from the City of New Orleans' NOLA Ready website. For details please visit the City of New Orleans' NOLA Ready website at https://ready.nola.gov/home/
- Understand your flood risk
- Clean your property and street
- Insure your property
- Secure your home
SHELTER IN PLACE
If a mandatory evacuation is not ordered, decide whether to evacuate or to shelter in place.
- Gather what you'll need to shelter in place
- Prepare for power and water outages
- Stay safe and informed
If the City of New Orleans orders a mandatory evacuation. all residents and visitors must leave.
- Gather what you will need to leave
- Leave as early as possible
- Reminder that we are still enduring the COVID-19 pandemic and remember to
- Practice social distancing
- Wear a face covering
- Wash hands often
- Disinfect high-touch surfaces regularly
If you can't evacuate or need assistance during a mandatory evacuation, the City of New Orleans can help. Text EVACNOLA to 888777 if you need assistance. The City of New Orleans will text information directly to you if there is a mandatory evacuation.
SACRAMENTS & RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
BAPTISM PREPARATION CLASS
Second Saturday: 12 noon
Fourth Sunday after the 10:00am Mass
Please contact the Rectory directly six months prior to wedding date.
SACRAMENT OF RECONCILIATION
Saturday: 3:30pm - 3:50pm (or anytime by appointment)
Sunday: 9:00am - 10:00am
RELIGIOUS EDUCATION CLASSES
Sunday: 9:00am - 9:45am (Students in Grades K - 12 and adults interested in joining the Catholic Church)
Readings for the week of February 28, 2021
- Sunday: Gn 22:1-2, 9a, 10-13, 15-18 / Ps 116:10, 15, 16-17, 18-19  / Rom 8:31b-34 / Mk 9:2-10
- Monday: Dn 9:4b-10 / Ps 79:8, 9 11 and 13 [cf. 103:10a] / Lk 6:36-38
- Tuesday: Is 1:10, 16-20 / Ps 50:8-9, 16bc-17, 21 and 23 [23b] / Mt 23:1-12
- Wednesday: Jer 18:18-20 / Ps 31:5-6, 14, 15-16 [17b] / Mt 20:17-28
- Thursday: Jer 17:5-10 / Ps 1:1-2, 3, 4 and 6 [40:5a] / Lk 16:19-31
- Friday: Gn 37:3-4, 12-13a, 17b-28a / Ps 105:16-17, 18-19, 20-21 [5a] / Mt 21:33-43, 45-46
- Saturday: Mi 7:14-15, 18-20 / Ps 103:1-2, 3-4, 9-10, 11-12 [8a] / Lk 15:1-3, 11-32
- Next Sunday: Ex 20:1-17 or 20:1-3, 7-8, 12-17 / Ps 19:8, 9, 10, 11 [Jn 6:68c] / 1 Cor 1:22-25 / Jn 2:13-25 or Ex 17:3-7 / Ps 95:1-2, 6-7, 8-9  / Rom 5:1-2, 5-8 / Jn 4:5-42 or 4:5-15, 19b-26, 39a, 40-42